human choroinic gonadotropin

GGTSdotNET

The notes of a madman

Archive for May, 2009

Joining a Windows 7 system to a Samba domain

Posted by grigsby on May 17, 2009

UPDATE: I would strongly recommend reading the following link prior to mucking about int he windows 7 registry. The changes required vary with different versions of Samba. You have been warned!


http://wiki.samba.org/index.php/Windows7

I had a client request a Windows 7 RC1 system so that they could test their product against the latest candidate from Redmond. Their network is made up of a mix of Windows clients on Linux/Samba servers. Setting up the new client was fairly easy, but, as expected, Windows 7 refused to join to a the Samba domain stating that the domain in question was not available. Having gone through something similar when we finally added Vista clients I expected to have to update Samba to get this to work. Turns out you have to add two reg keys as well. Since it took me a fair bit of search to find this, I thought I’d document the required changes here, if for no other reason to save myself the trouble when I went to do it again…

  1. First you need to be running Samba v3.3.4 or later. Earlier versions have been reported to work, but there are some issues. Since this version is not available in the OS repos (CentOS) I got my copy from the Samba Enterprise site. They carry packages in RHEL, SLES, and Debian flavors and I have been using them for some time.
  2. Next the Windows 7 client needs to have two registry keys added.

    HKLMSystemCurrentControlSetServicesLanmanWorkstationParameters
    DWORD DomainCompatibilityMode = 1
    DWORD DNSNameResolutionRequired = 0
  3. The following key needs to be changed or you will receive an error when trying to login using a domain accout of “The trust relationship between this workstation and the primary domain failed.”

    HKLMSYSTEMCurrentControlSetservicesNetlogonParameters
    RequireStrongKey = 0

Once these changes were made I was able to join the domain. I did receive an error on the join as shown in the following image, but the system seems to be working fine.

domainjoinerror

I’m assuming this will be resolved in future releases. Hope this helps save somebody at least a few minutes…

Read the rest of this entry »