human choroinic gonadotropin

GGTSdotNET

The notes of a madman

Archive for the ‘Winodws 7’ Category

the action can’t be completed because the folder or a file in it is open in another program

Posted by grigsby on October 28, 2010

Running Windows 7 Enterprise I continually see this message while trying to either move or delete a directory. No applications are open that should be locking the directory. Through random chance I found that emptying the recycle bin when this occurs would often resolve the issue. I think I’ve traced the issue back to windows thumbnail caching. Turning this off seems to have resolved the issue. The easiest way to do this is as follows:

  1. Start – enter gpedit.msc in the search window
  2. Select
    • User Configuration
    • Windows Components
    • Windows Explorer
    • Turn off caching of thumbnails in hidden thumbs.db files
  3. Select enabled and okay
  4. Next either reboot or
  5. Launch a shell and run ‘gpupdate /force’

So far this seems to have resolved the issue. I’d much prefer a more elegant solution, but sometimes a rock is all you have. Hope that saves somebody some frustration.

Windows “compressed folder” RMB pick

Posted by grigsby on March 27, 2010

Some people like the windows tool for compressing folders. Really. They seem to prefer this to a real compression software like 7 Zip. Not sure why.

When a third party compression software is installed the windows “compressed folder” tool is deactivated. To put it back, do the following:

Start->Run->regsvr32 zipfldr.dll->OK
Start->Run->cmd /c assoc .zip=CompressedFolder->OK
Reboot

Windows Update keeps trying to install the same update

Posted by grigsby on March 27, 2010

A failure in updating could happen when you suddenly get disconnected or downloaded corrupted data which happens a lot. And it seems that there is no local check to ensure that the file is actually complete. It just attempts to install the downloaded material even if its not complete. The stupid thing is that even though you try to update again, it just checks the cache, see that its there and won’t bother redownloading the files.

Therefore when you face such a scenario, you could take these steps to solve your problems:

  1. Open Command Prompt by Start -> Run and type cmd
  2. On the Command Prompt, type net stop wuauserv. This is done so that you will terminate the windows automatic update service to allow us to delete the cache files
  3. Still on the Command Prompt, type cd /d %windir%
  4. Type rd /s SoftwareDistribution
  5. Thats it, the cache has been purged. Now we need to restart the windows automatic update service again. To do that, type net start wuauserv

Joining a Windows 7 system to a Samba domain

Posted by grigsby on May 17, 2009

UPDATE: I would strongly recommend reading the following link prior to mucking about int he windows 7 registry. The changes required vary with different versions of Samba. You have been warned!


http://wiki.samba.org/index.php/Windows7

I had a client request a Windows 7 RC1 system so that they could test their product against the latest candidate from Redmond. Their network is made up of a mix of Windows clients on Linux/Samba servers. Setting up the new client was fairly easy, but, as expected, Windows 7 refused to join to a the Samba domain stating that the domain in question was not available. Having gone through something similar when we finally added Vista clients I expected to have to update Samba to get this to work. Turns out you have to add two reg keys as well. Since it took me a fair bit of search to find this, I thought I’d document the required changes here, if for no other reason to save myself the trouble when I went to do it again…

  1. First you need to be running Samba v3.3.4 or later. Earlier versions have been reported to work, but there are some issues. Since this version is not available in the OS repos (CentOS) I got my copy from the Samba Enterprise site. They carry packages in RHEL, SLES, and Debian flavors and I have been using them for some time.
  2. Next the Windows 7 client needs to have two registry keys added.

    HKLMSystemCurrentControlSetServicesLanmanWorkstationParameters
    DWORD DomainCompatibilityMode = 1
    DWORD DNSNameResolutionRequired = 0
  3. The following key needs to be changed or you will receive an error when trying to login using a domain accout of “The trust relationship between this workstation and the primary domain failed.”

    HKLMSYSTEMCurrentControlSetservicesNetlogonParameters
    RequireStrongKey = 0

Once these changes were made I was able to join the domain. I did receive an error on the join as shown in the following image, but the system seems to be working fine.

domainjoinerror

I’m assuming this will be resolved in future releases. Hope this helps save somebody at least a few minutes…

Read the rest of this entry »